For the world, Buddha means “Awakened One” or “the enlightened one.”
He, through his teachings, tried to relieve people from the mental obstructions.
The teachings of this great man is known as The Four Noble Truths or the Noble Eight-fold Path and here are some of the quotes that will inspire you, make you think and reflect the deeper truth of reality.
Inspirational Buddha Quotes
1. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.
2. All wrong doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong doing remain?
3. Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
4. Embrace nothing:
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your father, kill your father.
Only live your life as it is,
Not bound to anything
5. In the end
These things matter most:
How well did you love?
How fully did you live?
How deeply did you let go?
6. Do not dwell in the past; do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
7. However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
8. There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
9. All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
10. Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.
11. Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
12. In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true
Calming Buddha Quotes
1. To understand everything is to forgive everything.
2. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows
3. Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.
4. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows
5. Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others
6. The following lines are taken from Dhammapada:
Mind is the forerunner of (all evil) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with wicked mind, suffering follows one, even as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught-ox.
Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, AFFECTION follows one, even as one’s shadow that never leaves.
7. If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.
8. An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
9. The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
10. To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.
11. To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
12. When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.
13. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease