If you are a wandering soul with a deep inclination towards travel, there are many very beautiful Buddhist temples throughout the world worth seeing in person. These beautiful sites often include gorgeous statuary of the Buddha. Although few original temples still stand from the date of construction, many still hold very ancient roots from rebuilding. Here are 5 renowned Buddhist sites located about the world.
10) Haeinsa Temple: known as the ‘Temple of Reflection upon a Smooth Sea’. This Buddhist temple located in South Korea is was first built in 1802. Although a fire devastated most of the temple and its artifacts, a complete copy of Buddhist scriptures written upon 81,258 woodblocks was one of the few items to survive. The temple was rebuilt to its former glory in the latter half of the 1800’s.
9) Wat Arun: the Temple of Dawn. Wat Arun, located in Bangkok Thailand is an architectural masterpiece modeled after Mount Meru, the center of Buddhist cosmology. It is one of the oldest landmarks standing in Bangkok.
8) Pha That Luang: the Great Stupa in Laos. One of the most prominent landmarks in Laos, the tiered temple boosts several terraces, each representing a stage in the process of enlightenment. Destroyed in 1828 it was later rebuilt by the French in 1931.
7) Jokhang: Although not quite as extravagant as say Pha That Luang in Laos, Jokhang Temple in the holy city of Lhasa is one of the most important sites for Tibetan Buddhists. Thousands flock in religious pilgrimage to the temple each year. The temple was first constructed in the 6th century. Although the Mongols sacked the temple on countless occasions, by way of miracle it still stands.
6) Todaiji: the Great Eastern Temple. Todaiji is one of the most famous Buddhist temples located in Japan. Built in the 7th century by the emperor it was proclaimed to be the head Buddhist temple in all of Japan. Few of the original buildings still stand although the Great Hall dates back to 1709 when it was rebuilt.
If travel is not in your near feature, you can bring home your very own handcrafted Buddha statute made by local artisans throughout Asia. View all Buddha statues from Lotus Sculpture.