Brass Teaching Shiva Statue as Dhakshinamurti 12"
- Calculate Shipping Rates Worldwide
- Dhakshinamurti or Dhakshinamoorthy is Shiva as a teacher or guru of yoga, music and wisdom
- He is known as the "South Facing Lord" because south is the direction of death and thus change with every Shiva temple having a statue of Dhakshinamurti facing south, he is the only Hindu God that is supposed to face the southern direction
- Shiva is seated under a banyon tree (cast separately) surrounded by rishis or sages who he is teaching with his foot firmly planted on the dwarf, apasmara, who represents ignorance
- In his hands he holds a drum or dhamru with a cobra wrapped around it, a trident and a copy of the Hindu Holy Vedas with his right hand raised in the vitarka mudra which is a hand position associated with teaching
- Cyber Monday Sale of 10% OFF every statue in our store, take advantage of this limited time offer
The iconic representation of Dakshinamurthi represents Shiva, seated under a banyan tree in silence inspiring the Sanakaadi rishis. Dakshinamurthi is portrayed as being in the yogic state of abstract meditation and as a powerful form brimming with ever flowing bliss and supreme joy. The fifth day of the week, Thursday is associated with the planet Jupiter and is referred to as Guru-Vaaram. It is on Thursdays that special worship services are offered to Dakshinamurthi in many Saivite temples. Some temple traditions hold full moon nights, particularly the night of the Guru Poornima as the appropriate time for worship services to Dakshinamurthi.
You just know when you find the right piece to bring into your home and into your heart. - Kyle Tortora, Founder of Lotus Sculpture
Brass statues from India do not need much maintenance. The best way to maintain the statue is to simply dust the piece periodically to keep any dirt from accumulating. They can be used for both indoor and outdoor use.
You can use soap, warm water and a cotton cloth to periodically go over the statue to remove any dust or dirt buildup. If you are really interested in making the statue shine you can use some natural oil, like coconut oil or olive oil, and a cotton rag to wipe down the metal portions of the piece. You can use a toothbrush as well to get into the small crevices of the statue like the hands and hair.
Indian brass's durability makes it perfect for cold winters and hot summers of any climate. The metal can stand up to the harshest conditions of heat and bitter cold. We suggest you bathe the sculpture every couple of months so that dirt does not collect on the sculpture and then use a cotton cloth with some natural oil to give the statue a shine.
If you have any questions concerning your brass statue please email us at [email protected] or call us at 1(760) 994-4455.
This sculpture is in our Oceanside, California store and ready for immediate shipping. The shipping charge is automatically calculated by UPS for shipping within the United States. Each sculpture is usually shipped within 24 hours of the order with the exception of the weekend.
You can obtain a shipping quote for any statue by clicking the link, Calculate Shipping beneath to the Add To Cart button on every statues' page. Besides the shipping price, the results will also display the date the statue will arrive at your home. Lotus Sculpture uses Instapak foam injection packing system or bubble wrap and recycled peanuts to ensure that all our pieces arrive undamaged. Click here to learn more about Lotus Sculptures packing.
This sculpture is in our Oceanside, California store and ready for immediate shipping to anywhere in the world. International shipping charges will be calculated automatically upon checkout.
You can obtain a shipping quote for any statue by clicking the link, Calculate Shipping beneath to the Add To Cart button on every statues' page. Or you can email [email protected] or call us 760-994-4455 to receive a shipping quote. Please include the item number of the statue you are interested in purchasing as well as your country and postal code. Lotus Sculpture uses Instapak foam injection packing system or bubble wrap and recycled peanuts to ensure that all our pieces arrive undamaged. Click here to learn more about Lotus Sculptures packing.