Devi, the Mother Goddess An Introduction Book
- Calculate Shipping Rates Worldwide
- 126 Page, fully illustrated, 11 inch x 8.5 inch, soft cover book complete with the entire history of the mother Goddess Devi and the many stories surrounding the Hindu Goddesses who embody the feminine energy of Shakti
- This is an attempt to understand the meaning of goddess worship in our time. Written in simple narrative style, it takes us through Shakta imagery, philosophy, beliefs, customs, history, folklore and myth
- The book reaches to young and old alike, bringing together tales of Adi-Maya-Shakti, Lakshmi, Saraswati, Parvati, Kali, Durga as well as several village-goddesses such as Kanyakumari, Vaishnav-devi, Bahucharmata and heroines such as Anasuya, Arundhati and Savitiri
- Highlights include lucid explanations and a pictorial key to numerous symbols associated with Shakta customs and Tantrik rituals, a map showing important Devi temples, a bibliography for those interested in learning more and over 150 illustrations
About the Author: Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik graduated in medicine from Mumbai University.
Though a medical man by profession, Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik is a mythologist by passion. He topped Mumbai University's course on Comparative Mythology and is now part of 'Sabrang', a cultural organization that aims to demystify the arts. Through lectures, workshops, articles in journals and newspapers, illustrations and books, he is determined to keep alive the ancient heritage of sacred lore and bring out its relevance to modern times.
Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik has a wonderful, Narrative writing style which is extremely easy to follow and entertaining to read.
Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik's has written five books on selected gods in the Hindu pantheon;
Vishnu - An Introduction
Shiva - An Introduction
Devi - The Mother Goddess - An Introduction
Other books also available from Lotus Sculpture from Shakunthala Jagannathan are:
Ganesh - The Auspicious - The Beginning
Hinduism - An Introduction
You just know when you find the right piece to bring into your home and into your heart. - Kyle Tortora, Founder of Lotus Sculpture
She impels full control over kama
Devi is the Sanskrit word for "Goddess". She is the core aspect of every Hindu Goddess. Devi is synonymous with Shakti, the female aspect of the divine, as conceptualized by the Shakta tradition of Hinduism. She is the female counterpart without whom the male aspect, which represents consciousness or discrimination, remains impotent and void.
Devi has many different names depending on where in India she is worshipped. In Madurai she is referred to as Meenakshi, in Chidambaram Shivakami, and in Kanchipuram she is revered as Kamatchi. In each city her likeness takes on different aspects as you can see by the variety of poses of Devi. As Meenakshi she stands holding a parrot. As Shivakami she stands next to her husband as Lord Nataraja and as Kamatchi holding fertility symbols.
Kamatchi is Devi in her creative manifestation bearing fertility symbols such as sugarcane, conch shell and parrot. As Prakriti she balances out the male aspect of the divine.
This sculpture is in our Oceanside, California store and ready for immediate shipping. The shipping charge is automatically calculated by UPS for shipping within the United States. Each sculpture is usually shipped within 24 hours of the order with the exception of the weekend.
You can obtain a shipping quote for any statue by clicking the link, Calculate Shipping beneath to the Add To Cart button on every statues' page. Besides the shipping price, the results will also display the date the statue will arrive at your home. Lotus Sculpture uses Instapak foam injection packing system or bubble wrap and recycled peanuts to ensure that all our pieces arrive undamaged. Click here to learn more about Lotus Sculptures packing.
This sculpture is in our Oceanside, California store and ready for immediate shipping to anywhere in the world. International shipping charges will be calculated automatically upon checkout.
You can obtain a shipping quote for any statue by clicking the link, Calculate Shipping beneath to the Add To Cart button on every statues' page. Or you can email [email protected] or call us 760-994-4455 to receive a shipping quote. Please include the item number of the statue you are interested in purchasing as well as your country and postal code. Lotus Sculpture uses Instapak foam injection packing system or bubble wrap and recycled peanuts to ensure that all our pieces arrive undamaged. Click here to learn more about Lotus Sculptures packing.